Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blue Beard: 2 Stars



 Of all the fairy tales I have read in class, the versions of Blue Beard are the darkest tales by far. I am a huge fan of horror films, yet I was still taken aback by the gory tale. The version I preferred the most to the other versions of Blue Beard is ‘Mr. Fox’ by Joseph Jacobs.
I found Jacob's version of Blue Beard written in a very pleasant style that is almost poetic in it’s rhythmic pattern. Unlike the Grimm’s version, ‘Fitcher’s Bird’, Jacob does not blatantly state how the woman heroine is “clever and cunning” (Tatar pg. 149). Instead, he let’s her actions speak for themselves by describing her uncovering the true Mr. Fox. She does this on the day of signing their marriage contract to reveal his murderous character, unlike the ‘Robber’s Bride’ tale where she tells her father before the group of family and friends.
She takes it into her own hands and not depend on other’s around her, depending on her intelligence and tact to reveal the evil man. This is not so in the ‘Robber’s Bride’ tale because she does not discover the truth on her own, but with the help of an old woman she discovers the murderous man’s true intentions.
For this reason, I disliked the ‘Robber’s Bride’ version. I found the only positive depiction of a lead female character was that her gut feeling told her she did not like the evil man. It mde her appear weak and depend on those around her to see the truth.
As for the Grimm’s tale, I disliked it because when the evil sorcerer took each of the sisters, it only took a touch to get them to come away with him in his basket. Too me, this seems like it symbolized the ease of an evil man to seduce naïve women, reminiscent of the motifs of Little Red Riding Hood.
Although I preferred ‘Mr. Fox’ over the other versions of Blue Beard, I actually disliked all of them over many other tales we have read so far in class. I disliked the versions of Blue Beard in general because of it reaffirming the fears of marriage to young girls that other tales attempt to calm, such as Beauty and the Beast (Tatar pg. 139). The Blue Beard tales just do not fit the mold I have of what a fairy tale is because of this reaffirming of children’s fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment